Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Resolution - Hmmm...this one's different...

Hi there!

I'm so glad you're here! I'm Terri and you're joining me on my New Year's Resolution. The funny thing about 2010 from what I'm seeing is that more and more peeps are opting OUT of "resolving" anything this year. I'm not 100% sure why this is, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the years upon years of prior un-achieved resolutions that just make you feel like crap about yourself and your ability to meet your own high-standard annual goals. Huh, go figure. I know what they mean. First hand.

BUT, herein lies why I've made the decision to actually MAKE a resolution this year! It's not anything LIKE the typical resolutions of years past (most years, actually). It's different, positive, exciting and potentially life altering. Yahoo!!

O.k., so here is an example of my NYRs of years past:

1986: Off to college! Lose 10 lbs. and have fun!
1990: Get a second degree and lose 10 lbs.
1995: Control erratic eating and stay skinny (thank GAWD for smoking as a weight loss tool!) Try to exercise more.
2007: Lose 15 lbs. and stop binging.
2008: Lose 13 lbs. and control my eating habits
2009: Lose 10 lbs. and and get a handle on my eating for heavens sakes!

See a pattern here? Sound familiar to anyone? C'mon, I know I'm not the only one out there...please tell me I'm not! ;)

So, this year it's different. This year I'm making a change in my lifestyle for a totally (almost) non-weight-loss perspective. This year I'm going to try to do what I've longed to do for the past 3 years as a vegetarian - become a true vegan, at least most of the time. I've been a lacto (use milk products) and partially ovo (use egg products) vegetarian for 3 years now, and I've done it because I want no part of the torture and persecution of farm animals. Not to mention the health benefits befitting a vegetarian - what an added bonus!! But I've longed for the willpower and fortitude to give up the dairy and eggs as well. I just haven't been able to make it stick. I LOVE animals and am a tree and cow hugger at heart, but cheese...CHEESE and baked goods do me in, man! Well, no more. Vegan alternatives are everywhere, and I'm doing my research while cooking and baking at home. Yummmm...

As of December 26, 2009 I have begun my initial 30 day vegan quest. Only this time with a twist: this time I'm doing it for me and the sweet 2 and 4 legged creatures I want to save. This time I'm doing it for my health. For the next 30 days (to start) I am vowing to live a true vegan lifestyle because I'm desperate to get rid of these dang MIGRAINES I'm plagued with! I know your body is as good as what you put in it and what you do with it, so I'm going to give myself a good 30 day start to putting only good things IN it. Plant based diet, cardio and yoga. Period. And I'm gonna blog about it. How cathartic!!

I'm on a true journey to heal myself from the inside out. I want to be off my every-day-for-the-rest-of-my-life migraine preventative pills. I want to stop having to spend $200 on prescription PRN migraine medication that I seem to have to refill monthly. I want to stop having my doctor tell me to "double the dosage" at my next physical exam, instead of trying to get to the root of my migraine issues.

I'm scared! But excited. SO excited!

So, today is day 9 (WOW!!) of my migraine free vegan quest. So far so good. I've made quite a few YUMMY recipes, and low and behold I've dropped like 3 pounds in the process! Yes ma'am...so far...so very good.

Check in again. That's it for now.

Hugs!!
Terri
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment